Sunday, January 12, 2014

Having the Right Mindset, Hoping For Delay


Location: Seattle, WA
Temp: 43 F

They always say you find love when you're least expecting it. Well, I'm not so sure about that, but I can tell you I have stumbled upon a gem of a city here in Seattle. Sure there are certain peculiar/unattractive things about this city, like the chronic coffee addiction, ever-present cloud layer, and complete and total obsession with their local sports teams. Despite its faults, or maybe because of them, I admire Seattle and its crazy eccentricities.

Firstly, the novelty of rain has yet to wear off. I still look outside wondering what the weather will be. Every time I pass a large puddle I'm temped to splash in it. It's fun to have different weather. Sunny and 75 might be nice for a little while, but I can't really appreciate it without having a contrast. Normally when the sun is out I'm up and going, but here I love feeling guilt free about staying indoors till 11 am because its rainy and cold. Everyone obsesses about how wonderful the summers are here. I never pictured Seattle as a summer destination but I have the strongest urge to jump in the lake every time the sun comes out. I would love to spend a day riding my bike, bbq-ing and swimming in the lakes while they're warm. Putting "Seattle in the summer" on my to-do list.

The University of Washington is awesome. Not only is the library breathtaking, but the whole campus is picturesque. From the outside it looks like a conglomerate of official buildings and big trees, but within the campus its a series of small roads and little areas to ride your bike or run through. Everyone wears school colors. It's right on the lake, and they have a fantastic arboretum with big sycamores, floating foot bridges, and wild river otters.

University of Washington Library: I just want to spend all day here ... everyday. 
The people in the area are so nice, decidedly not LA. Drivers commonly let you over when you signal, IMAGINE THAT!? Pedestrians actually have the right of way. Everyone I have encountered has been welcoming, & friendly; from the servers at a restaurant asking me how the day is going, to people on walking bridges waving as we cross paths. Its as though everyone has decided to compensate for the weather by being extra nice to each other.

Public transportation, exercise, and outdoors activities are popular things here! I have seen college students, mothers with children and even business men regularly riding the public transportation system. It's a useful way to get where you want to go, and it runs on time! There are about a hundred gyms just within my community, but even more impressive is how crowded the trails are throughout the city, even on rainy days. People commonly discuss their favorite hiking destinations, and city parks. It seems like there's always a new place to explore just outside the city limits. Note to self: I still need to go explore "the sound" on the far side of the city. It leads to the actual ocean!

Besides the fact that I have no idea what a seahawk or a dawg actually is (indigenous species of Washington?), I have found myself cheering for the local team every week. Truthfully, I find it convenient that there's a coffee shop on every corner. Two weeks ago I had no intentions to return to school anytime soon, but now I am more and more curious about what kinds of research the graduate programs do at UW. Here in Seattle, I learned that the weather is what you make of it (riding in the rain is no big deal, if you have the right mindset!).

Seahawks in their natural environment. 

I planned to stop in Seattle as a detour on my way to the "real" adventure in Alaska. But I find myself hoping more and more that I will be delayed so I can spend a few more weeks here in the rainy PNW. I may not have been looking for it, but I know a good place when I see it.

1 comment:

What'd you think?