Friday, January 17, 2014

Fishery Purgatory

Location: Seattle, WA
Temp: 42 F

Yesterday was the last day of class. I am now, officially, a certified north pacific groundfish observer! Yay?
Yeah, kinda like this. 
Out of a class of 24, miraculously we all passed every exam, physical skills, and fish identification assessments with a grade of 80% or better! Some of us even got 100% on our Fish ID test ... but I wont name names *cough cough* The last day was kinda fun, but at the same time, nerve wracking. It reminded me of high school graduation in some ways. We were all just finishing a pretty stressful course of study, and going off into a new opportunity where none of us know what to expect. Everyone was rightfully proud of themselves, but honestly a little nervous.

The newest North Pacific Groundfish Observers aka the 2014 Greenhorns! Congrats Everyone :)
As the last day of training came to an end, they generated our research cruise numbers, (kinda like an ID number that will tie all of our data to us within the NOAA file systems) and began calling us up one by one to receive our graduation certificate, vessel assignment. The pollock fishing season in the Bering Sea starts on the 20th, this monday. Needless to say, everyone is flying out ASAP! Our contractors want everyone up in AK ready for the season opening. There's only one small issue, Dutch Harbor is stuck in a blizzard with 20 ft seas. No planes are flying in or out, let alone boats leaving to go fishing! Regardless of real-world weather, logistics and plane jams, upon completion of our training, every classmate received their new assignment. It was like any other graduation, announcing the graduates' next school or job: "And after this accomplishment John is headed to Alaska on the Fish Stalker!" All of the instructors would take a moment to comment about each boat. How much they liked, or disliked it, what kinds of food they serve, if the observer has their own room etc. Some people looked stricken, wondering how the hell they got to this point, and what got into their heads to think this would be a good idea. Others were excited to get out, it was finally happening! And then it was my turn ...

"Next up, Ali Carter!   ... Who does not have a boat yet, and will be staying in Seattle!" ... I'm the only one in the class with no assignment. My mom was stoked, "Oh good, maybe you'll just stay in Seattle!" No, this is what I've been training for, and now I want to go! But as fate has it, I will be spending the foreseeable future in fishery purgatory. Its neither bad nor good. On one hand I want to go to Alaska, start my job and my next step of this adventure. Yet, a small part of me is content to stay here, ride my bike and continue exploring Seattle. Either way, I have no choice, I'm stuck here in this holding pattern until further notice. Maybe once the blizzard raging in Dutch Harbor subsides, planes start moving, and boats start fishing I will get my call ... One Day! Until then I'll be chillin' in Seattle with my bike. Go Hawks?



1 comment:

  1. Haha, very appropriate Finding Nemo gif. This is kind of what you asked for in one of your other posts, getting to stay in Seattle for a bit and hang out. Can't believe you've been there three weeks already. Time flies when I am working 80 hours a week. Glad you're enjoying yourself and hope you get a boat assignment soon. On an awesome boat with a hysterical name, good crew, tasty food, and your own room. --Amanda

    ReplyDelete

What'd you think?