Saturday, December 7, 2013

Foul Weather Test Run

Location: Newport Beach, CA
Outside Temp: 52 F
Wind: 18 mph
Swell: 4-5 ft

Today was the first day, since I've been working with the CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife (CADFW), that I actually had to use my foul-weather gear. The first time in almost a YEAR.  The weather was bad enough to necessitate rubber boots, my waterproof parka, down liner, and neon orange slickers! They're all the rage in Alaskan fashion I hear. I'm a marine biologist, so I was a little excited to go out in my stuff and see the angry ocean. Even though I know this is nothing compared to the Bering Sea, it was a good test run for what I'll be wearing everyday once I start up north.

The wind wasn't so bad in the beginning, just a little cold. The swell was noticeable but not violent. While we were en-route to the fishing grounds I climbed into one of the galley booths to watch the weather from a warm spot. I have to be outside while everyone is fishing to take data, but while we're traveling I can do whatever I want (usually I put my head down and read to avoid political fishery/conservation/regulation questions). As soon as the rain started coming down sideways I called it, forfeited my pride, and started dawning my rubber-coated dork gear.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my parka, it's a reasonable navy blue with a small CADFW insignia. The best part is that it's wind, water, and fish mucus proof. The down liner is probably my best friend, mostly cause it doubles as a down pillow (on overnight trips of course). The dork gear comment comes from pretty much everything else. I knew it was supposed to be shi- ...er crappy outside today so I put on my rubber boat boots as soon as I got dressed this morning. Lucky I did too, upon putting them on, I realized that they're at least one size too big. No problem, its not like I'm going to use them to walk over unstable, wet, slippery surfaces - oh wait. But being dry is always a priority on the boat so I put on two pairs of thick socks and headed out the door!

Like I was saying, rain sideways, forfeiting pride etc etc .... I pulled on my neon orange overall-style foul weather slickers. And of course they're too big also, rolled them up a few inches and declared the problem solved! As soon as I was suited up one of deckhands looked at me and said, in the best smart-ass-in-awe impression he had "Wow, you're glowing!" Because I've never used my foul weather gear it hasn't faded and I was pretty much glow-in-the-dark orange. Shortly after the boat arrived at the fishing grounds. We all headed out into the sideways rain to go fishing.
This is the bright orange. Sorry, I couldn't get a full length photo and
keep what was left of my good-standing with the deckhands intact.
Aaaaand about 15 minuets later at least two-thirds of the tourists were either huddled inside from the wet and cold or too sea-sick to function. So the deckhands and I hung out in the rain for a few hours, all in our neon overalls and puffy waterproofed jackets feeling like kings. They sang different renditions of the "I'm dry and you're not!" song between making fun of the sea-sick tourists. I sat on the leeward side of the wheelhouse (out of the wind), waiting for the last five anglers remaining to give up hope of catching a fish. I suddenly had a new found love for these hideous beyond reason outfits. I really was dry, and comfortably warm. Now I know, I just need to make sure to get a small enough size when I get my gear for Alaska! 

PS On the way back in the sun came out ... Thanks a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What'd you think?