Tuesday, February 18, 2014

North to Alaska!







Temp: 28F

My equiptment.
So yesterday I left Seattle, finally. And what an adventure it was. I guess I should start at the beginning.

I was a little stressed packing my stuff the night before, it’s intense leaving for Alaska! My alarm completely malfunctioned and didn’t go off so I was woken up by a phone call at 3:30 am “Hey, this is your shuttle driver, I’m outside.”

Shit.

I quickly grabbed my stuff, and ran out the door, praying I didn’t forget anything. Who needs breakfast or deodorant anyways?
My Seattle to Anchorage flight was pretty commonplace. I was on a normal commercial airplane and when we got the announcement that we were descending for our landing I looked out the window to see the ocean beneath the clouds. It was dark grey and familiar. I was waiting to come across the shoreline when suddenly there it was! But it wasn’t just the shore, it was a mountain recklessly careening into the ocean amidst the fog and wind. And nestled among the mountains sits the only lit town within sight, Anchorage. Welcome to Alaska.

Anchorage, kinda.
Upon landing I checked the connecting flight page for my next gate … according to this sign Dutch Harbor wasn’t a destination at all, for any airline. So I did what I have now learned is the best bet in any situation, I politely asked for help. The airline information desk looked at me with a pitiful and knowing sign, oh that’s with PenAir your gate is downstairs and outside. I exit the secure airport area, wander down the stairs into the airport basement where I find a rickety snack stand, a small PenAir travel desk, and some 30 obvious fishermen waiting for thier flight to Dutch. When I checked in for my flight to Dutch Harbor, they asked me one thing, how much do you and your carry-on weigh? News Flash: This is when you know you’ve left normal society and have arrived in the express lane to the end of civilization as you know it.

Our plane arrived and we walked out in the snow along the tarmac into our little 25-person plane. The flight attendant issued ear-plugs when we boarded. I was so relieved to have found the plane and made it to Alaska that I slept most of the flight, until the announcement that we were descending to land in Cold Bay … decidedly not Dutch Harbor.


Boarding the plane to Dutch

At this point I couldn’t have accurately pointed out my location on a map within 200 miles. We landed in Cold Bay to refuel, they do this in case weather prevents us from landing in Dutch (which is almost all of the time) we can fly all three hours back to Anchorage to wait out the weather. Cold Bay does live up to it’s name. There’s nothing there except a runway, a jet fuel station and a grocery store, that you have to call ahead if you intend on going to because it won’t be open otherwise. Less than 50 people live in the small village, and honestly I don’t know how even THAT many people stay.

We take off from Cold Bay to Dutch Harbor, hoping for favorable weather. Traveler’s Tip: Do Not fly to Dutch Harbor if you are at all uneasy about flying. It was one of those flights that keeping your seatbelt on is a must, and don’t expect to keep a cup of coffee or water upright on your tray table unless you’re holding it there. The turbulence is worth it for the view. We flew lower this time, below the clouds so I could see the Islands. The islands are beautiful snow covered mountains clashing with the sea.  My view was a breathtaking stormy seascape with every shade of white, blue, grey and turquoise you can imagine. As we came in for our landing we flew between two mountaintops, so low that I could see the mountains out of both side windows! It’s the kind of landing that everyone applauds when you touch ground. I think one guy puked when he got off the plane.  



Coming in for our landing in Dutch Harbor
Amazingly the weather cooperated, and we landed on our first try! Sometimes it can take days to get from Anchorage to Dutch. In the Dutch Harbor airport there is three travel desks for various island hopping airlines, one baggage room and a small bar/restaurant.  I made myself comfortable in the bar, ordered lunch and settled in for my three hour wait till my next flight to Akun (Pronounced A-coon) which leaves at four in the afternoon. … 4:30 PM I’m sleeping at the airport still no sign of my plane. 5:30 the plane arrives! I thought the plane to Dutch was small; the plane to Akun fits seven passengers and one pilot. SEVEN! And apparently piloted by an ex-air force pilot. I can believe that. 

We landed in Akun, which is essentially a snow-covered rock, literally in the middle of nowhere, with a runway … now what? Oh, turns out that flight was not my last, in fact, in order to get to Akutan I have to take a helicopter! Which only seats three passengers and a pilot. So we take off in the helicopter, all of my scientific equipment was left in Akun because the helicopter couldn’t fit the weight. I land in the village of Akutan, which compared to previous locals of this journey is a veritable city! They have a church/community center and a seafood processing plant. They set me up in a small windowless room to wait for my boat and fed me dinner. I was never so happy to have salad, warm potatoes and short ribs in my entire life.

Riding a Helicopter to work!
“Your boat should be in sometime between 0100-0300, someone will come get you when they arrive.” They told me. Exhausted, I lay down for a short nap before meeting my boat. Next thing I know I wake up in my dark windowless room, it must be the middle of the night, no one has come looking for me. I check my phone and find its actually 9:45 AM! Well crap, I’ve missed breakfast. Guess I’ll go out to find my boat and hopefully my equiptment. All I want in life is my extra tuffs (rubber boots) and for my feet not to be a frozen, wet snow covered mess for another day in a row, they’re with my equiptment in Akun. But the sun is shining, a bald eagle is perched outside the office, and I’m told my boat should be here soon. I think it’s going to be a good day!   

Short Note: I cannot upload phots for the time being. Im really sorry that I cant cause It’s amazingly beautiful! As soon as I can I’lll make an effort to upload photos of flying/helicopter adventures and all the snow covered islands!

Akutan 02/18/14
The view from my vessel.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome. Good luck getting your gear! I miss Alaska terribly (though not the ocean even a little bit!).

    ReplyDelete

What'd you think?