Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Crazy Sea-Scheme Supporters


Location: Seal Beach, CA
Outside Temp: 56 F
Wind: 4 mph
Swell: 2 ft


      People show how they care for you in different ways. My mother shows it by reminding me, “Be safe and don’t fall overboard!” I can’t blame her for being worried; everyone’s mothers are worried about me. One of my best friends moms sent me a flashlight, and another is knitting me a scarf. My bike shop friends have discussed planning an Ali Carter Memorial Ride - to which I reminded them I am still alive, but the sentiment was there, I think. My grandmother, in an attempt to be prepared and supportive has insisted on giving me my Christmas present on Thanksgiving. I told her I plan to celebrate Christmas with the family before I go, that I’m not leaving for a month, and I prefer to open my Christmas presents at Christmas (or at least in December). None of these arguments had any effect on her resolve to really put the giving in Thanksgiving this year.  

      The past few weeks have reminded me of how lucky I am to have so many good people surrounding me. I will take the encouragement, flashlights, and scarves with me - and I will remember, however cold and dark it is on the sea, that I have my California family and friends to warm my heart wherever I go. This Thanksgiving I’m thankful for all of the caring individuals who support me in whatever crazy sea-schemes I dare to endeavor.

This is how I feel jumping into my next crazy sea-scheme;
it's nice to know you all have my back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What'd you think?